An intermediate level solution designer is an individual with extensive product knowledge who understands how to use the IBM Rational Functional Tester tool to develop robust automated tests through the recording, playback, and evaluation of test results.
IBM Rational Functional Tester is IBM-s solution for automated testing of Java, Web-based, Siebel 7.7, VS.NET Windows Forms, Base Win32, 3270, VT100 and 5250 applications on Microsoft Windows and Linux platforms.
* It helps testers increase the thoroughness, accuracy and extensibility of automated test scripts
* It helps project managers apply automation tools to test planning and results analysis for accurate and up-to-date test status
* It helps testers and developers Leverage a common development IDE to achieve better team collaboration
It is expected that this solution designer will be generally self-sufficient and able to perform the tasks involved in the role with limited assistance from peers, product documentation and vendor support services.
To attain the IBM Certified Solution Designer - IBM Rational Functional Tester for Java certification, candidate must pass 1 test.
Some experience with Java programming:
* Understanding of how to develop modular tests
* Understating of how to leverage verification points to verify expected results
* Ability to evaluate test result logs and investigate and document failures
* Understand of how to handle dynamic data in automated tests
* Understanding of how to leverage external datasets for automated testing
* Number of questions: 54
* Time allowed in minutes: 75
* Required passing score: 60%
The test consists of eight sections containing a total of approximately 54 multiple choice questions.
1. ENV (navigation, configuring and enabling environments, test project, preferences)
2. REC (recording process, insert recording, script support functions)
3. VP (verification points)
4. PLY (play back, testing the test, regression testing, use of comparators)
5. LOG (types of logs, logging options, use of comparators)
6. EXT (extending scripts, modifying scripts, components of script)
7. OBJ (test object maps, pattern-based recognition, controlling recognition)
8. DAT (data-driven testing, creating and editing datapools)
It is strongly recommended that test takers take the class Essentials of IBM Rational Functional Tester, Java Scripting to prepare for the test.
Course title: TST279: Essentials of IBM Rational Functional Tester, Java Scripting
Course duration: 2.0 days
Course number: RT541
Testing professionals can familiar with the basics of Rational Functional Tester tool in a Java environment in this introductory course .
Build, enhance, and maintain scripts in a full-function Java Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that integrates with IBM Rational products. Receive hands-on instruction for building effective and resilient test scripts using Java code.
Knowledge of Java programming is not a prerequisite for this course, but such knowledge is highly beneficial.
This course does not cover Java programming fundamentals. For more on Java programming, see:
Introduction to OO Java Development for Procedural Developers Using Eclipse (JA321)
You can pick the Java course most suited to your needs from this Training Path:
This is a basic course for new IBM Rational Functional Tester users. It is designed primarily for Quality Assurance (QA) professionals who use the automation tools
Course title: TST221 Essentials of IBM Rational® Functional Tester, Java Scripting
Course duration: 1.0 Hours
Course number: TST 221
Abstract: This introductory course is designed to familiarize testing professionals with the basics of the Rational test automation tools for use in testing Java® and Web applications. Testers can build, enhance, and maintain scripts in a full-function Java IDE that integrates with the IBM Rational Software Development Platform products. Hands-on lab exercises are provided so that you can explore the power of using Functional Tester immediately. The Functional Tester application builds effective and resilient test scripts using Java code and ScriptAssure technology. This course focuses on getting started with Functional Tester.